Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olives

Posted by agw567 (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 6:27

A similar question to my palms topic. How do you grow these from seed, and are they usually successful? I have fresh seed that has been dried. Also, I heard these take much longer to fruit from seed than from cuttigs. If you take a cutting from a seed plant, does the same rule apply?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olives

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 10:51

First, you would have much the same slight possibility of growing olive trees for fruit in your climate as I would in mine...they would be more likely to produce a harvestable crop if container grown and moved to an unheated greenhouse over winter, given some protection from Spring frosts. Olive needs a long, hot growing season to ripen fruit, no late spring frosts to kill the blossoms and adequate winter chill to insure fruit set.

None of the cultivated edible varieties can be propagated by seed. Seed propagated trees revert to the original small-fruited wild variety. From seed, you might have a tree of ornamental value but with fruit you would not eat.

Sow in moist seed sowing mix and cover with a 3mm layer of sowing mix or vermiculite. Keep at a temperature of around 18-21C (65-70F). After sowing, do not exclude light as this helps germination. Keep the surface of the sowing mix moist but not soggy; Germination will take anywhere from 1-10 months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here