Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimigunne98

Using cups for transplants...what to put them in?

jimigunne98
11 years ago

I am growing seedlings (all sorts of veg., trees, ornamentals) in the usual 11x20 trays with ("deep") 6-paks. When large enough, I transplant to plastic drinking cups which are 2 3/8 round on the bottom , and 4-1/4 in tall. I think they are 16 oz. These cost only 5 cents each. The problem is I am growing for my own property as well as to sell a surplus, and I have not come up with a good plastic mesh or perforated- bottom container to put the cups in! I bought some square mesh-bottom plastic flats from Farm-Tek or Peaceful Valley, but the sides are only abt 2 in. high. To securely hold all the cups in on the edges, the sides need to be about 3-1/4 or preferably 4-1/4 in high. Cant find anything with high sides like this.

SO now I don't know if I should continue to try to use plastic drinking cups....its no good if there isn't some economical plastic tray available to hold and transport them in.

I use the 6-paks that are 2x2-1/4 x 3-1/4 deep. If I could start with larger seedling starter trays, the need to transplant to larger drinking cups would be eliminated...and they don't get knocked over easily like a cup does. But I don't know if anyone sells multi-cell starter trays that would have a similar volume to the drinking cups. Any ideas?

Comments (5)