Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using cups for transplants...what to put them in?

Posted by jimigunne 9A (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 7:29

I am growing seedlings (all sorts of veg., trees, ornamentals) in the usual 11x20 trays with ("deep") 6-paks. When large enough, I transplant to plastic drinking cups which are 2 3/8 round on the bottom , and 4-1/4 in tall. I think they are 16 oz. These cost only 5 cents each. The problem is I am growing for my own property as well as to sell a surplus, and I have not come up with a good plastic mesh or perforated- bottom container to put the cups in! I bought some square mesh-bottom plastic flats from Farm-Tek or Peaceful Valley, but the sides are only abt 2 in. high. To securely hold all the cups in on the edges, the sides need to be about 3-1/4 or preferably 4-1/4 in high. Cant find anything with high sides like this.
SO now I don't know if I should continue to try to use plastic drinking cups....its no good if there isn't some economical plastic tray available to hold and transport them in.

I use the 6-paks that are 2x2-1/4 x 3-1/4 deep. If I could start with larger seedling starter trays, the need to transplant to larger drinking cups would be eliminated...and they don't get knocked over easily like a cup does. But I don't know if anyone sells multi-cell starter trays that would have a similar volume to the drinking cups. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using cups for transplants...what to put them in?

I use Novosel Enterprises, they have a lot of containers to choose from and they always have a sale! I would check them out.

Keriann~

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel

o

Yea, a pot carrying tray is what I need! Unfortunately, Novosel's smallest ROUND pot size is 4 in., so the cups will be very loose, no good. Thanks, Jim

o

For holding the cups you almost have to make something. Cheap cat litter boxes from the Dollar stores with holds drilled in the bottoms work well. I made up several of them for transporting our cup transplants to the farmer's market each week. Easy to clean up afterwards, nest for storage, and last for years. Rather than drill I use the same woodburner/soldering iron I use to make the holes in the bottom of the cups to melt the holes in the litter boxes.

If you have the tools you can also make slat-bottom trays out of wood.

And cardboard boxes with the sides cut down to size. They don't work for watering of course but do work for transport

Dave

o

A carrier for 3" pots will be about as close as you will get.

If you have any large home improvement stores with a garden/plant department, go look in their dumpster. They throw away all sizes of pots and carriers for all the many plants they kill and can't sell. Look for the dumpster that is just outside of the fence near that department. They usually have one that is separate from the main stores garbage.

o

Found something that works well at Wal Mart. Clear plastic storage bin, Sterilite 1926(34 qt) 24 16 oz. cups fit perfectly into one. The only drawback is the cost: abt 7.00 ea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here