Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did the rain wash away my seeds???

Posted by bosewichte 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 7:36

I direct-sowed my annual seeds in my prepared beds on Tuesday. Then, the following Monday and Tuesday, we had periods of torrential rain. The beds drained fairly quickly, but there were lots of puddles at first. Now I'm worried that the heavy rain potentially washed my seeds away. Is this a definite, or would a week in the ground give them time to anchor a bit?

Seeds: zinnias, larkspur, coneflower, cleome

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did the rain wash away my seeds???

It's possible but not definite unless it is a real incline where they are planted. What is most likely is that it floated many of them into clusters and clumps. Once they sprout you can thin them out or transplant them as needed.

Of course you can always over seed the area again to be safe but will likely have to really thin them out then.

Dave

o
RE: Did the rain wash away my seeds???

I did reseed the area that I planted up the day before the hard rains...it was one solid puddle. But I'm leaving the other beds alone. After those 2 rainy days we had 85 degree weather, and it will be 90 today. If those seeds don't start popping up soon, I guess I'll have my answer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here