Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

did I start my tomatoes TOO early this year?

njitgrad
9 years ago

I started them on March 14th and I am already starting to see some flowers even though I am only on Day 6 of hardening them and won't be planting out for at least another week. They are all currently in 3.5" durapots and are about a foot tall.

Comments (11)

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Awesome. You are doing great. When you plant follow the standard advice about removing lower leaves (or flowers!) planting deep, etc.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Sounds like maybe a couple of weeks too early for ideal transplants. For your plant out day end of March or 1 April would be better for next year. That way they won't have already kicked in to production mode, won't be getting root bound and won't have to be trenched in so deeply.

Be sure to remove any blooms on them now to try to keep them in vegetative mode.

Dave

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

A foot tall plants in 3.5" durapots ? Can we see some pictures ?

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure....these were taken this morning. Some of my Mortgage Lifters already have flower buds. I will be pinching them off promptly after having read other responses in this thread.

{{gwi:239626}}

{{gwi:239627}}

{{gwi:239628}}

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

They look great. How many do you have, versus how many do you need?

If you've over-prepared, I'd say get the tallest of those into the ground if the weather is at all workable.

If they fail, you have backup.

Update: based on your other thread, I'd plant some tomorrow morning, or the next. Especially if some are going in containers which can be moved in response to a a weather surprise.

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Thu, May 8, 14 at 9:33

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Rootbound ?

• sunshine9
    9 years ago

Can I ask about your setup for growing from seed and what you do to get such healthy looking plants? These look amazing!

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some pics from a few weeks ago....ask away!
    By the way...I planted them in the garden this morning both in raised beds and in my 5-1-1 containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: my tomato setup

This post was edited by njitgrad on Sun, May 11, 14 at 11:07

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Rootbound ?

What fertilizer(s) did you use, how often and at what rates ?

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I planted this morning they were not root bound too badly. I only fertilized once...on May 1st which was when I brought them outside for the first time. I made a diluted fish emulsion solution fertilizer in a five gallon bucket and dunked each plant for about 2-3 seconds. All 52 plants (14 varieties x 3 plants each).

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I planted this morning they were not root bound too badly. I only fertilized once...on May 1st which was when I brought them outside for the first time. I made a diluted fish emulsion solution fertilizer in a five gallon bucket and dunked each plant for about 2-3 seconds. All 52 plants (14 varieties x 3 plants each).