Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting scared reading some posts...newbie questions.

Posted by christyinco Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 9:55

I had an existing garden and topped it off with some well composted manure (about a year old) and mixed it in with the soil. Planted my cold harvest seeds. Will this work or am I burning the seeds?

Second - do I have to us a light when starting my seeds? I have one of those Jiffy pots with the plastic dome and was planning on putting it outside during the day for sun - I live in CO so get lots of light. Would an indoor florescent light be better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting scared reading some posts...newbie questions.

If you mixed in your compost and the ration is 25% or less to soil, you did a great job : ) no fear of burning your seeds.

Second: WAIT! if you put the dome of your greenhouse on and put it outside, even in the shade, it will cook your little seedlings. Domes are meant for inside germinating under lights, not for use outside.

I would recommend direct sowing them or starting them indoors under a shop light (10 bucks). If you dont want to get a light a sunny window that provides INDIRECT sunlight will work just as well this time of year. Just be sure to harden off your seedlings that you start inside.

I hope that helps!

Keriann~

o

Keriann - what is direct sowing? Does that mean planting them as seeds outside this time of year? If I put them under indirect sunlight indoors do I still leave the dome on? Sorry for these silly questions - just learning.

o

Leave the dome on until the seeds sprout. When the first one is up, the dome comes off. That way the seedlings can get air flow. This also prevents dampening off, a nasty bugger of a problem.

Yes, direct sowing is putting the seeds directly into the ground outside. I did that this year for the first time, and was suprised how easily it went. Didn't kill anything! ;)

A window sill with even the best sunlight is often not as good as a shop light. As keriann mentioned, these are super cheap and prevent the seedlings from leaning toward the light or becoming too tall and leggy. Mine has made a huge difference in the quality of plants. Regular old flourescent bulbs. Don't be sucked into the special "grow lights". I almost spent a fortune until I learned on here that you don't need them.

Oh, and keriann, a question about compost. I added my own compost as well as composted manure to the soil a month or so ago. I want to put more in, but fear burning my tomato and pepper plants. Will the 25% ratio work for these, even if I'm plating them out in a week or two? I'm nervous...

Kim

o

Christy: Kim is correct on the direct sow.. a seed is planted directly into the ground/pot (final resting spot)

Yes you can leave the dome on inside until they germinate as Kim said. As soon as the first one pokes through the soil, you need to take it off. The dome is not a necessity. It merely helps keep the soil moist for germinating purposes.

No silly questions! We all learned someway~

What are you growing from seed?

Kim: I would wait until they need the compost. I add about an inch in the garden mid July to give them a much needed boost.

I think it may be too much for small seedlings right now.

Keriann~

o

Don't need a dome inside unless you are growing exotic seeds that need higher temp / humidity. You can use the dome outside to keep the seeds warm - but be sure the top vent is open or you prop a corner up so they do not get too hot. don't use it if the temps are 60F or above. I only use a dome inside for my tropical seeds that need 95F and humidity to germinate and grow - never use it for veggies or the seeds that germinate at 80F or below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here