Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with tomatoe seedlings

Posted by huuunter (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 9:56

started my tomatoe seedlings around a month ago under a 1000w mh.first 1s to come out were the beefsteaks.everything was going good,they were bigger and growing faster than all the rest until they got about 8 inches.they started to turn yellow and stopped growing.1 week after, all the rest(sub arctic,earliest,tumbling tom,etc) past them (bigger).

feeding them flora nova as directed,watering them when top of pot is dry,transplanted in bigger pots.lights on 24/7,temps between 70 to 80.

is there anything im doing wrong or just a bad batch of seeds.should i toss them all out. i can provide some pics.

thanks for any help. joey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with tomato seedlings

Although this is just a guess from the information you gave, I suspect it may be a case of over watering and/or overfeeding. A more reliable way to tell if a plant needs water is to lift the pot. If it seems light and the soil looks dry, then water. The top of the soil may just be drying out from the lights.

Usually, yellowing plants (in good light) mean we are taking "too good" care of them ... doing too much.

o
RE: need help with tomatoe seedlings

thanks susan,followed your advise and lifted the pots and they felt heavy,i guess the light was drying the dirt on top.just wondering if they will recuperate or if its a lost cause for those babies.still have 3 weeks before they go in the greenhouse.should i start a new bash or buy some from the nursery.

o

They might. It really depends on how much damage was done to the roots by standing in so much water. The containers you're using have holes in them to drain out excess water, right?

o

Why not put them in the GH now and save on electricity?

Mike

o

yes my pots have holes,ill give them a week and see what happens.i dont understand why just the beefsteaks were affected and none of the others.and for the GH,its still too cold here in the yukon,the snow is still melting.i would have to fire up the old oil furnace and that just to much$$$$

i have zucs on the window sill and some under the 1000w MH and there's no comparison.the 1's under the light r 4 times bigger and greener.even thought we r getting 18 hrs of sunlight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here