Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broadcasting Sunflower Seed

Posted by jeanniemarie Zone 4 Wisc (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 9:57

Is there a basic calculation to determine how many pounds of seed to plant per acre? or per a particular size space? A friend asked me about growing sunflowers as I had great success one year, although failed the following three years. The method I used was broadcasting, but I don't recall how many seeds to use. I did tell him, more is better, because the birds will do a great job of thinning them out. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broadcasting Sunflower Seed

Commercial sunflower crop growers have all the secrets and usually publish them to help the farmers of these crops.
You are talking about sunflower crops. Research the internet for commercial sunflower crop growers.
Even better, try to search for companies that sell commercial seed quantities.

I did that with one plant once and was amazed at how much I learned. Studying the commercial guys changed my whole way of gardening.

Lastly I would go to the books sections of Google. I often find old, free agriculture books I can read on specific topics.
IMHO

o

Thanks Bug Bite for the helpful information. I'll do more research as you suggested.

o

Hi Jeannie Marie,
I thought that I would do what I suggested to you to see if I was offbase. I searched "Commercial sunflower crop growers ". I quickly found this guide.
Good Luck,
Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower Production

o

Fabulous, thank you so very much. Now if it would only stop raining here in Wisconsin so I could do some more last minute planting. Appreciate the help. Jeannie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here