Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?

Posted by cagoldbear 9a - Houston (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 10:21

New plot gardener here, a little concerned about the seeds I just put down, followed by 4" of rain. I put down a trio set of bush beans, rainbow chard, globe squash, jewel watermelon in the plot. There was some pooling in the plot. I also put down some Cosmos, sunflowers and butterfly weed in the front. There's 4 days of heavy rain forecast, in late May.. :: Can I consider the seeds a waste and order new ones, or should I give it a few weeks?

Thanks!
Tiffan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?

End of May, hmmm. Seems a bit late for all of those varieties? Should they not be planted in Feb.?
Or a fall planting? You must have a local nursery, (not a big box store), that can give you a guide to a vegetable garden. Or a neighbor or mentor that has had success...

I've never direct seeded an entire pack of seeds, maybe 1/3rd or less...then a week later or two weeks, seed a few more...for insurance depending on weather.

I did live in Texas one year, years ago, and followed a neighbors advice. Picked a high spot for a small garden and soon realized why it was a good idea...devastating heavy rains would have destroyed all efforts.

Find a garden club, a group that shares garden advice and get that soil ready for the next season....the basics for a healthy start without wasting money on experiments.

Many methods to divert heavy rains that do not wash away your good soil....or destroy your seedlings...but best to seek a local gardener.

o
RE: Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?

Well, I checked them yesterday evening and the soil seems to still be in place, so maybe the seeds stay put. Yes, I'm a little late on the produce gardening, I was more into the flowers at the time I should have been planting others. But this is my first year, so I may be using it as my "classroom year." The pumpkins are flourishing, though, and I think the watermelons are doing alright. Here's their sprouts from two weeks ago..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here