Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alyssum mystery

Posted by indica_2010 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 10:49

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here.

I am trying to grow alyssum in hanging basket. I started with basket inside the apartment house(near window)and its been a week since I have left the basket hanging out. There were 11 seedlings in 14" basket initially,but ever since I have hung them out in the balcony, there are few seedlings going missing. Morning I see the seedlings pulled out. Now I have only 4 left. Today I saw 2 seedlings pulled out(with leaves intact) and have planted them again - I don't know if they will make it - there was barely few mms of root.

I checked the basket at night for slugs/earwigs - nothing.. and I have kept 2 mouse traps outside. I have a feeling its birds. or squirrels?? any suggestions, please to stop this happening...

thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alyssum mystery

If it's squirrels (and now that you are seeing the whole, dug-up seedlings, I would suspect squirrels), put a piece of chicken wire over the top of the basket, and let the alyssum poke up through the holes. Secure the chicken wire to the basket so the squirrel can't pull it off. I have also used plastic forks stuck in pots before, tines facing up, to prevent the squirrels from getting in them.

o

Birds will pull up seedlings without disturbing the soil at all in most cases. Snails or slugs will eat the plant off, not pull it up. I have to protect my seedlings from rats, squirrels and birds as well as snails. Al

o

Thanks, sleepy33 and Al

I stuck plastic forks tines up in basket - squirrels not bothered them so far..but like an idiot, I left the nearby nasturtium basket(without forks) and today one of the nasturtium seedling missing - the cover of seed at the root was all that I cud see! maybe its birds this time!!I have stuck forks in that basket too..

I wanted to know - now there are 2 nasturtium seedlings left in that 14" basket(and its only nasturtium in the basket) would 2 seedlings be less to fill up the basket?

Its Nasturtium whirlybird Mix - the packet says - Ht 12" - ideal for bedding, pots and hanging baskets..

Thanks for any advise..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here