Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat of mixed plants - Question

Posted by regaldozer 6A (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 10:51

I got these started late but since spring seems like it is late here I am not too worried. In fact for the melons, pumpkins and cukes I feel like I am right on the money.
But here is my main question. In the photo I have about 3 starts each of
CUKE
MELON
PUMPKIN
TOMATO
PEPPER

The cuberits (sp?) have germinated and are doing nicely. The toms and peppers have not.
Should I take off the lid and let things progress? Leave the lid on but open the vents? Leave it alone till everything had sprouted.
The main thing is because of the height of the biodome, I dont want the cukes etc to get leggy.....see pics and all thoughts are appreciated.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat of mixed plants - Question

Once they sprout you need to get them off the heat and under lights. Of your selection, peppers will take the longest to germinate, next the toms. Cucurbits sprout quickly and grow fast which is why most growers wait until their soil is warm and direct sow them.
This is the problem with mixing varieties under the dome. I would carefully pot up your cucurbits to individual pots or cups. That way you could keep the heat and the dome on for the others. If you still have seed for your cucurbits you'll have back up to direct sow if you can't pot up or things don't go well.

o
RE: Flat of mixed plants - Question

an update and a thank you. got the other lights set up and got the sprouted guys out of the dome. things look to be moving along nicely. I'll plant these when they are ready and direct seed some of the same variety. I am curious to see if I get early harvest or the direct seeds catch up anyway....

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here