Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grabembythegreenthumb

Direct Seeding? Killed Most my Seedlings!

I planted my seeds in late February/early March. Following that, I found out I was pregnant, had a tragedy in the family and was then dealing with a horrific bout of morning (all day, really) sickness for 4 weeks.

Quite honestly, my seedlings were just neglected. I wasn't much caring about them. I killed just about everything, so now I'm looking to direct seeding or hoping the little wimpies make it through.

I have some cleome, swan river daisies and snapdragons that I want to try by direct seeding. I planted about 4 really wimpy Monarda Lambadas, hoping they'll pull through and will probably lay some seed down as well.

Any tips? I'm so worried nothing will come up and I won't have a garden this year!

Comments (4)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I don't think the Snaps would do good in your area planted now. Snaps are really a cool season plant and take a long time to grow to a flowering plant. Swan River daisies maybe and I don't know about Cleome.

If you want some fast growing Annuals that would do well planted outside, plant Zinnias and Marigolds. Both will put on a nice display, are fast growing, and can take the heat. Just make sure they are well watered until they are big enough to have a good sized root system. Water in early morning or early evening. Give them enough time to dry off before the strong sun hits them or the cool night air. You'll have a lovely colorful garden

• davemichigan
    13 years ago

and/or cosmos too. There are so many varieties now, so you can find one that you like. Since cosmos needs short daylength, and it is not that short anymore now, if you grow them now, it will bloom a little late, but this is fine because you can have your marigold, zinnia and then cosmos.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Most of us will eventually come across a season where things just don't work out....Life happens. I hope you won't take seed failures as a sign you must go without color in your garden this year, because if there was a year where you need it, it sounds like this could be that one. Treat yourself to some annuals/snapdragons, 6-packs at the nursery if your own have failed...and don't feel guilty about it. Do not go without a garden this year. No one here is going to blacklist you if all in your garden is not started from seed by you...you can go back to your usual sowing next season when under better circumstances.

And congratulations on that baby!

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    13 years ago

Just a note, about the morning sickness. Just after my sister had her baby, she heard a news story that made her feel a tiny bit better about her (8 months of) morning sickness. Apparently it's associated with a higher IQ in the baby. What they said on the news (although it's not too scientific) is that there was a 1 point increase in average IQ for every time the mother threw up. So you can look forward to a smart baby. A little off-topic, but you need something to make the morning sickness seem a little more worth it, I would bet. Incidentally, I can't speak to the general truth of the association, but my niece is very, very smart. Not that I'm biased.