Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting un-stratisfied jm seeds now

Posted by MAPLE-JACK none (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 12:20

I bought various J.Maple seeds (200) on Eaby this winter and stuck the envelopes in the fridge. If I plant them now...
1. Will they be to fragile to survive when winter comes (N.J. zone 6b)? I have an unheated greenhouse.
2.Do I have to "nick" each seed (being that they have a harder coat), then soak 24 hrs before planting?

Thanks for any help, Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting un-stratisfied jm seeds now

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 11 at 13:06

Putting your seeds dry in the refrigerator didn't count towards conditioning them...they need the chill and the chill must be moist, dry is only storage.

There is no need to nick. Sowing in Fall when seeds are immediately ripe is best - seed pots left outdoors exposed to fluctuating late Fall and Winter temps will often germinate the first Spring. If you haven't had them in time to sow right after harvest, pour hot water over seeds and leave them 24-48 hours. Then provide a moist chill of approx 40F, 2 - 4 months. You can accomplish that by putting the seeds in a bit of moist sterile vermiculite or moist sterile sand and placing them in a dated zip lock bag in the refrigerator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here