Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

missed ideal planting time-what now?

novice_2009
13 years ago

I have several herb seed packets that say plant in early spring, as the oscillating temps help them to germ.

I missed my window of opportunity on that, as now our temps are in upper 80s, and summer is starting.

The seed packets are in fridge. Should I store them and try a fall planting( risky cause I have a vole problem) or try to plant them anyway? Could I just put some in flats, and try transplanting?

I have no idea what to do, not sure if they will keep another year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Most seeds will keep several years but it's not too late to start some plants this year. I would start them in flats and transplant later. If you transplant to large containers then the voles wouldn't be a problem and you could bring them in to overwinter inside.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Like taz6122 said, seeds don't spoil with age but the germination rate on some may diminish as time passes. I'm growing radicchio from seed marked 2005 on the pack. Only one has sprouted so far but that says they're still viable. They're dormant as seeds and generally need some combination of light, water & soil to germinate. Just for grins & giggles, I tossed some daylily seeds in a Ziploc baggie with a little Perlite, a little seed starting mix and just enough water to get the mix slightly damp. Set the baggie with seeds in a sunny window and 2 weeks later I had adorable little miniature daylily sprouts. I potted them up and kept an eye on them all summer. They went dormant in late fall but they're back again this year looking hale and hearty. They won't grow up enough to produce blooms for another season or two but by golly they're growing and from seed I harvested from the parent plants at a cost of $0.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Like taz6122 said, seeds don't spoil with age but the germination rate on some may diminish as time passes.

I didn't say that, in fact they do spoil with age. Some seeds will perish in less than 6 months while others will last 50 years or longer but it never hurts to try. Also on some hard shelled seeds that require stratification or scarification the germination rate increases with time up to a certain point.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks taz and gardenweed. I would eventually like these to go in garden beds, but starting them out in pots for awhile would be okay- just don't want them to get rootbound overwinter.
    These are medicinal herbs mostly- so they don't have the best germination rates to begin with. They are like wild flowers, and to germinated need the outdoor weather that they'd typically get.
    Thanks for your advice, I have enough seed to try to save some, and sow some like you said.
    Thanks again!!!

• organicislandfarmer
    13 years ago

You haven't missed the ideal planting time for your zone. Your plants will be fine, heck my basil, parsley, rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint and chives are doing fine, the only one that is hating the heat is the dill!