Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdot4

Germinating Ghana Rainforest seed in Paper Towel

tdot4
11 years ago

I have seeds from a plant I'd like to grow that comes from the Central Region of Ghana. It's a bush rainforest plant. The seeds are in long pods. I've had the seeds for about 2 weeks now and they've travelled back to Toronto with me.

The lady who gave them to me suggested I sprout them in cotton. I'm not even close to a gardener, but its important to me to grow this plant here. Unfortunately, I only know the local name for it, which is 'Simpi' or 'Asimpi'. It's known for its medicinal properties.

I'm praying someone here can help me, advise me. Fish out of water here :)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• yiorges-z5il
    11 years ago

I have not germinated this plant BUT going on what you said (1) do not use all the seed at one time (2) soooooak the seed in water for 24 hours (3) lightly cover the seed with soil (4) soil temp for germination minimum 75 F

• tdot4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I had been considering the soaking as well. I'm worried because I've been carrying the seed for some time and the pod split open. Everything was in a zip lock, which wasn't sealed tight so some air could get in. Ghana's humid and I didn't want the seed to mold.

To soak, do I just leave it in a sealed container on the counter? Or keep it cool in the fridge?

And yes, I agree not to use all the seeds. I've been in contact with my 'supplier' in Ghana and she said she will try to vacuum seal and post some more leaves and seeds to me next week.

Let the soaking begin!!!

• dahlialady46
    11 years ago

I think you are doing okay so far, but I wouldnt put it in the fridge as ghana never gets so cold. would love to see a pic of the seeds. Is it a vine?

• tdot4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm about to transfer the seeds to soil....feel pretty lucky not one is a floater. I'm also gonna try to cotton method, only because the lovely woman who showed me this plant gave me two containers to do so along with the advice :) Givin' the respect, yo.

Unfortunately I'm not on my personal computer (which broke in Ghana) so none of my pics are on it. I will try to do it though, cause I'm hoping someone may recognize it and give me the english name!!!

I'm loving this new project. It's funny-all I can think about is growing this plant!!!

Now, do I place the planted in soil seeds in direct sun or??

Thanks again!

• tdot4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A close up of the leaf. The plant bears no fruit, btw.