Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I give up on my corn seeds?

Posted by abqlyle (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 12:32

Seven weeks ago I planted my first row of corn seeds. I still haven't seen anything. It was still a little on the cold side when I sowed them(but after the danger of frost) so I figured it'd take a while but seven weeks seems way too long. Should I try to figure out what I did wrong (I'm thinking I should sow them less deeply, since I already have beans growing in the bed it's mulched, which might be getting in the way of finding sun quickly enough.) and start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I give up on my corn seeds?

Did you dig down and see if the corn is still there. Seven weeks is way too long. Danger of frost is just one thing to watch for when planting warm weather vegetables. You have to take into consideration the temperature of the soil. If the soil is too cold the seed will just sit there. Get too much rain and it will rot. You can't sow corn too shallowly or the roots won't be deep enough to support the plant. They should be planted 1 1/2 inches deep. The mulch has nothing to do with it.

I think you should replant. Look for a variety that is early to mature. Different varieties of corn will mature at different times anywhere from 67 days to 80 days

o

I tried to see if I could find anything by digging and didn't find anything. I guess maybe a squirrel found them, I guess the Albuquerque wind disguised the usual signs of digging. I guess I'm going to try to see how corn does when not direct-seeded.

o

I use old window screens to cover my raised beds when I direct saw. They are still mounted on light frames so they just span across the raised bed frame. They still let the light and water through but no animal or bird gets the seeds.

You dont say where you are, My corn germinated in a week. Dont plant too deep.

o

Mine came up within 5 days of planting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here