Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iruehl_gw

Newbie made a mistake, needs help!

IRuehl
12 years ago

I went and made a 10$ walmart seed packet investment. Here comes my duh. I planted said seeds and threw away the packets and cannot remember what planted and if whats growing are my seeds or weeds! I have been pulling the chickweed, and the clover. But as for the rest I am not to sure.

I remember planting

Foxglove mix pack

Lupine (I know what ones they are)

Johnny Jump Up

Allisum (I know what ones they are)

Delphiniums

viola labradorica (I know what they are)

and about 4 other kinds I don't remember! Do you recognise any of them as seedling or weeds???? Thanks for your time. I am so duuuhhhhhhh

{{gwi:240174}}

This one is getting big fast, I think they might be weeds, am I wrong?

{{gwi:240177}}

{{gwi:240178}}

well any input is welcomed, I know I goofed!

Comments (11)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

The seedlings in the center of photo #3 could be foxglove. Are they fuzzy? Foxglove leaves are fuzzy. None look like delphiniums to me but I'm no seedling expert. Best of luck! Some folks use cut-up mini-blinds as plant markers & write the seed type on them with either pencil or paint pen. FWIW, not labeling usually isn't a mistake you make more than once!

Here's a couple pictures of my winter sown containers & sprouts:

{{gwi:212046}}

{{gwi:212030}}

{{gwi:236770}}

• foolishpleasure
    12 years ago

I did teh same thing but my seedling were in cups. Egg plant, green pepper and Cucumber and tomatoes look the same. I had to wait until I got three or four leaves to distinguish between them.
    This year I made two mistakes: I did not label, I planted directly in 22 inches cup. I should planted in cells first and labeled them. Planting in cells makes easy and safe to transplant them in 22 inches cup. I had rough time transplanting and I killed lots of them.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

For re-potting into singles, I buy some 12oz plastic beer cups (the beer garden variety) and a permanent marker. Works great for tomatoes because they can grow to a nice size in those cups and have plenty of room for a decent root system. You write right on the cup so you don't have to worry about the tag, but remember to poke drainage holes in the bottom.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I can see foxgloves as ided by gardenweed, Johnny jump up (Viola tricolor), Lupin and Violet (V labradorica). The big leafy guy could be pokeweed, Phytolacca americana, there are also several maple seedlings there.

Did you also sow forget-me-nots? The majority of the seedlings I can see look like them to me.

I don't see any delphiniums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple seedling

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, I have a few more pics of things that started jumping up. I cannot remember if I did forget me nots! Also learning some good ideas girls thanks for the tips. Maybe next year I wont botch this, LOL!

Weed or seed.......

1.. kinda soft, fuzzy to the touch

{{gwi:240179}}

{{gwi:240180}}

{{gwi:240181}}

weed 2... Smooth and shiny

{{gwi:240182}}

{{gwi:240183}}

weed 3...
    {{gwi:240184}}

weed 4... Think is one may be a Tulip poplar baby?
    {{gwi:240185}}

weed 5... Or maube another maple? Any guess as to what kind?

{{gwi:240186}}

{{gwi:240187}}

And then this guy...

{{gwi:240188}}

• thinman
    12 years ago

(1) is foxglove.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lighter fuzzy ones? I thought the dark noes were, oops

• thinman
    12 years ago

The ones dead center in the first three pictures are the foxgloves. I have two trays of them sitting in my hoop house even as I write this.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Yes - 1,2 & 3 are your foxgloves.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Watch out for the poison ivy!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

poison ivy????