Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

All my babies trampled!!

hbwright
11 years ago

My neighbor needed to get over to my backyard to side his garage, which shares a side in my backyard. Okay I understand why he doesn't want to paint it the lovely green it was every few years, so he put in a sterile light gray instead, but wow. I wasn't expecting to go out and find 90% of my preciously cared for seedlings all trampled. They've been in for almost a month, getting a good size. I've spent hours upon hours out there pinching, thinning, watering, litterly picking thousands of crabgrass seedlings from the tilled up earth one by one with my arthritic hands, sunburt on my shoulders and upper back, the things we all do out of love for our seedlings, and they are trampled!!! Oh, but they were very careful with my gladiolus and large, getting ready to bloom salvia plants I had tranplanted, but none of my sweet baby seedlings.

What are my hopes of them reviving from the less than a month old root? Any hopes at all. Oh, I've literally cried over this.

Comments (7)

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

I'm sorry and I'd be extremely upset myself. I'd make sure to let my neighbor know exactly how I felt about what he did and present him with a bill for the cost of plants from a nursery.If he came into your yard and didn't give you any notice so that you could let him know where your plants were than he's responsible.

I've had some of my plants knocked over by rain and wind (which isn't the same thing) I had some success in propping them up to get them off the ground till they could stand on their own again. Some recovered some didn't......good luck.

• terrene
    11 years ago

I'm sorry about your seedlings too! I would be very distressed! Is it possible your neighbor didn't notice the smaller seedlings? Will you talk to him? I would hope he didn't mean harm, but one of my next door neighbors and I don't get along very well.

It is possible that some of them will have the ability to revive, especially if they're perennials. They have probably been putting on good root growth for the past month. I hope they can rebound!

• luvahydrangea
    11 years ago

Aw, I'm so sorry this happened. I would be very upset too. I have a feeling your neighbor probably didn't notice them. I hope they come back for you.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    11 years ago

When you approach your neighbor try to squeeze out a few more tears so he will understand just how heartbreaking this has been for you. My sympathies.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think they realized. My neighbor is the previous owners senior son. He had some of his younger friends helping him. They even told me last week that they would be careful that they know how much work I put into it. I think they wondered Hum, why put so much care into the bulbs and larger plants and let all these weeds get in the way. Lets trample them down for her. Haha. I made a mention to one of the guys helping that I lost quite a bit but was hopeful I had enough to fill in. I'm not going to say anything to the neighbor, I think it would upset him more than it upset me. He's mentioned quite a few times how nice it is to see his moms landscaping cared for again. Sigh. I'm propping up, and caring for what is left the best I can. I'll wait and see what fills in and just fill in around them. They are all reseeding annuals in there right now along with bulbs and transplants from my old yard. It seems like it was the bigger seedlings took the brunt of the destruction. There are a ton of little tiny ones that look like they are fresh out of ground. Maybe without competition they'll take off like rockets.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is slow to recover but I think it is recovering. Still broken glads and my zinnia is the slowest I've ever seen it growing. It looks like they started from scratch and with the heat maybe not growing so fast. The cosmos is such a gangbuster. The ones that I didn't stand up have started rooting on the ground and growing up from the horizontal stems. I thought about trying to throw more cosmos seed out there but I've never threw out seed this late. I guess it won't be that expensive an experiment. I figure I probably get germination from late season seed throwers anyway that bloom towards the end of the season so why not. I did take the opportunity to go ahead and purchase a couple at a time perennials so I did cheat a little.

Here are my pictures. The salvias are all taken from my previous house and are taking off like expected. There is a bee balm moved from the old yard too and I added a few low growing varieties in front of it. You can see the small zinia seedlings that I wonder if I'll ever get bloom from and the cosmos in there. Even some with a couple little buds but I snipped those off already.
    {{gwi:240369}}

In the middle here are the four o'clocks. Gotta have those. They never fail and laughed at being trampled. Unfortunately, the front of the 4 o'clocks is the only area the portulaca seems to be growing so I may try to move some of the seedlings to more bare areas in the front of the border where I wanted to anyway. All the rest have dissappeared and never to be seen again.
    {{gwi:240371}}

This area took the brunt of the abuse. You can see some of the cosmos laying on the ground between the 2 healthy ones. These are the ones that are rooting so I am going to leave them alone. I figure eventually they may be bushier than the others the way the vertical growth is coming off the horizontal ones. Hopefully they will fill in the area, but this is probably where I'll throw some extra seed.
    {{gwi:240373}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I read this when you first posted and felt just awful for you. So glad so many plants are recovering so well. Don't know how much is "missing" but what is there looks really great, especially after reading what happened. Absolutely still time for more seeds! Keep up the good work!

I had windows replaced once and the entire area outside 2 of the windows was a flower bed. They used a few concrete cinder blocks with a board laid over them to give them a place to step without stepping in the garden. Hopefully your wall won't need maintenance for years now, but just wanted to mention that for next time somebody needs to access a flower bed area, it might be a workable solution.