Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Hollyhocks

Posted by linda_jo NCz8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 13:47

I wintersowed black and burgundy hollyhocks that I got in trade and pink and red ones from my plants. I have one black seedling, 2 burgundy ones and no pink or red. I sowed them all in the same mg potting soil(all I could find at the time). I sowed more 2 weeks ago and no germination yet. What could be wrong? I collected my seeds when the pods were completely dry and breaking open so I am sure they were ripe. I had great germination in my other containers with the same potting soil. Any insight to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Hollyhocks

Hello...where is everyone? Does anyone have any special tips for urging hollyhock seeds to germinate? Do you think they will do better now that it's getting hot here? It's been in the 90s this week. I am really in zone 7 but I am unable to change my profile info. Thanks for any suggestions as I really wanted a big stand of hh. Linda Jo

o

Linda Jo - the problem is quite possibly the seed you collected. Alcea is notorious for producing low quality seed, even in commercial operations. Take a few seeds and remove the outer hull. You should find a plump kidney shaped seed inside. That is the actual seed - if it isn't developed, it isn't going to germinate. Viable seed germinates pretty quickly - within a week.

o

goblugal, Thank you! I will check it out. So if I open hulls and free the seed (thought the hull WAS the seed!) I may have better germination. Wow those seeds have protection- a pod and a hull. I have hope now.

Linda Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here