Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Presoaking help

Posted by rohanjcp CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:16

Hi I've been trying to presoak my seeds and have mixed results and was wondering...

Is it ok to soak them the same way you would as if you were sprouting them? I would soak the seeds overnight, drain them, then repeat the process of washing them twice a day. And when there is a hint of root, I sow them.

With this method, I had about 99% success in srpouting but after I sow them, the success rate is down to 50%. Bush Bean seeds seem to respond better than my summer squash seeds.

Thank you for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Presoaking help

I never soak any seeds. I've heard of people soaking legumes but not squash. If you are a beginner my advice would be to ignore the soaking until you've got the hang of all the rest of the things you need to learn like watering, light etc. It always seems just one more thing to faff with and I don't think it gains anything more than a day or two.

o
RE: Presoaking help

I soak my peas and beans over night and then stick them in damp (not super wet) soil - I usually get excellent germination rates.

I rarely soak anything else - though I am trying it with cilantro and parsley this year.

Never heard of anyone doing a twice a day rinse - except for making "sprouts"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here