Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds that can be started in spring/summer?

Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 14:26

It's now May, and I'm afraid my addiction to growing seeds (especially now that I've found methods that work and I don't have seedlings dying everywhere) has not slowed, I'm wondering if there's seeds to try out that can be started now. I'd probably grow them in my small greenhouse or under lights instead of directly planting; my family's doing a lot of landscaping and catching up on weeding (now that I'm back from college that's been one of my duties) so we wouldn't know where to plant until later.

I was pondering annuals like Zinnias, but I'm afraid to start them only to have them start flowering when it's too late to really appreciate them. I have too many vines planted, so that's out as well. Maybe a perennial? I'm still learning about all this, but it's been a fun process.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds that can be started in spring/summer?

There's a lot of annuals (like zinnia, cosmos, etc) that say on the seed packet "Can be started indoors x weeks before last frost date OR outside after danger of frost". I am in zone 6/7 and have put zinnias in direct seed in mid summer and gotten a fine show before frost. I f you want a longer show I wouldn't wait that long though! I have been starting many perennials because my seed is getting old. I'll just have to grow a bunch for foliage this year (haha) and get my flowers next in most cases... Your mileage may vary as far as seasonal issues like earlier frosts in Indiana.

o
RE: Seeds that can be started in spring/summer?

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 20:12

Haha, that may be my only choice, it seems. I'm inbetween zones and frost is fickle here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here