Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Best not to plant citrus seeds in Root Riot Cubes

I heard many good things about the hydroponic Root Riot cubes, and I need about 21 dwarf citrus root stock seedlings for our frontage on our property.

I obtained the seeds, soaked them, then inserted one per cube, kept them sort of moist, sometimes ignoring them, and after a weekend of ignoring, a seedling appeared. Then another. Another! Now there are 4, but the first and strongest seedling developed a twin about 1/3" away from it. They are growing side by side, and I want them both, but I have no clue how to separate them.

I tried tearing one of those cubes in half, and it's like trying to tear a sponge.

What I didn't know is that citrus often have several embryos in one seed. I wish I had planted them in regular potting soil, but that's just hindsight.

Roots are already showing for the seedlings, and I think I will plant the single seedlings directly in ground with their cube where they will grow. The twins will go into potting soil for a month or so until their roots can take a little damage when I separate them.

The cubes worked great for seedlings that I could thin, but no way am I thinning dwarf citrus root stock!! It's hard to come by, and I'm feeling really lucky to even have 5 seedlings. I think others will follow.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm