Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best not to plant citrus seeds in Root Riot Cubes

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 14:35

I heard many good things about the hydroponic Root Riot cubes, and I need about 21 dwarf citrus root stock seedlings for our frontage on our property.

I obtained the seeds, soaked them, then inserted one per cube, kept them sort of moist, sometimes ignoring them, and after a weekend of ignoring, a seedling appeared. Then another. Another! Now there are 4, but the first and strongest seedling developed a twin about 1/3" away from it. They are growing side by side, and I want them both, but I have no clue how to separate them.

I tried tearing one of those cubes in half, and it's like trying to tear a sponge.

What I didn't know is that citrus often have several embryos in one seed. I wish I had planted them in regular potting soil, but that's just hindsight.

Roots are already showing for the seedlings, and I think I will plant the single seedlings directly in ground with their cube where they will grow. The twins will go into potting soil for a month or so until their roots can take a little damage when I separate them.

The cubes worked great for seedlings that I could thin, but no way am I thinning dwarf citrus root stock!! It's hard to come by, and I'm feeling really lucky to even have 5 seedlings. I think others will follow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best not to plant citrus seeds in Root Riot Cubes

If you planted 21 seeds and got 25 seedling plants, why do you hesitate about clipping off the extra seedlings which you don't need anyway? Al

o

Al, I only have 5 seedling plants, and there is another coming up and maybe they all will, but no guarantees there. I wouldn't hesitate to lose one if all 25 took, but we need 21, so every baby counts and now we have 6 counting the twins.

o

Today DH got out his knife, and separated the twins. Actually, I was surprised that they kept their roots straight down and were not co-mingled.

He then cut another root cube in half, jammed it up against each seedling, and back in the rooting chamber they went.

They will survive just fine.

Not so sure about the new twins. They are about 1/32" from each other. If one is big, it will get culled because it's growing next to a true dwarf root stock. And the dwarf stock is the whole reason for seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here