Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I 'Abuse' Marigold Seedling Roots?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 15:09

I'm ready to transplant my first ever, cute little marigold seedlings.

I've never had luck growing marigolds from the stores until Garden Web people told me to really spread out the roots. Last year I practically murdered my plants and I grew unbelievably wonderful marigolds.

So, now to my question. Do I have to be really careful with the roots when transplanting my marigold seedlings, or just "reasonably" careful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I 'Abuse' Marigold Seedling Roots?

Just make sure the roots are not going around at the bottom. If they are then loosen them so they hang down. Then give them a gentle squeeze from side to side and plant. So the answer is reasonably careful, but Marigolds have a large, strong root system so they are not ones you have to be extra careful of.. The ones you buy are always pot bound. Yours may not be, so just have a look at them and decide.

o

Thanks Oilpainter !

Now I just need to find a drill bit to put holes in my yogurt containers, and then Plant =:)

I'm soooo excited !

o

You're welcome nutsaboutflowers:

I might add that the same goes for any plant you buy or grow annual or perennial. If the roots are a tangled mess on the bottom--if they are going round and round at the bottom. That means they are pot bound and you have to loosen them so the plant can take up nutrients from the soil. Otherwise they will continue to be a tangled mess in the ground and the plant can't get what it needs to grow.

o

Oilpainter I knew that plant roots need to be "disturbed" if they're root bound, but thanks for telling me, in case I didn't know. =:)

The only annual I've ever had trouble with is marigolds. I posted last year that my marigolds embarrassed me, and suggestions from that post led me to be rather nasty to them when I planted them. They thrived for the first time.

BTW I transplanted 4 of my seedlings to see what happens. I may have given them too much water. In two days, if they're O.K. I'll do some more. I didn't have enough courage to try all 14 of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here