Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting seeds outside in containers

Posted by bosewichte 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:16

More questions...but how else will I learn? :)

I wanted to make a little container garden for herbs, veggies, and flowers this year with some leftover seed. Today I planted tomatoes, mint, basil, garlic chives, clematis, and a few varieties of sunflowers in various containers. I originally set them all up outside, right in the sun. But when I did a little more research after planting, what I read seemed to indicate that the seeds could be easily 'cooked' this way and that I could keep them outside, but out of the direct sun.

What I don't understand is...when you direct sow into the ground, the seeds don't get 'cooked' - they usually germinate. So what's different about sowing in containers?

SHOULD I put them back in the sun, or keep them in the warm shade until they germinate? Another note: they aren't covered in plastic to maintain moisture level. I figure that I can keep on top of it myself without having to fool around with lids...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting seeds outside in containers

Small containers dry out a lot faster than the soil in your garden, and drought is one of the main reasons for seedling losses. This is the principal reason why most gardeners don't put container sowings in full sun. Do you remember those old-fashioned "Welcome" mats, made of jute fiber or what not? And how if they got wet they'd be like that for a week? If you stand your seed containers on top of something similar, they will not dry out so easily.

o
RE: starting seeds outside in containers

Thanks so much! I'll stay on top of it and hope for some great germination! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here