Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Seedlings Came Outside With Me Today

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 15:28

My first ever grown indoors marigold seedlings came outside with me for a while today =:)

I wonder if they were as tickled pink as I was.

I just bet they can hardly wait to go out again tomorrow.

Thanks to all those on this forum who helped me to do it =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Seedlings Came Outside With Me Today

Yay! Good for you! I had to buy mine this year, to put around my veggies.

I just started hardening off my pepper and tomato plants yesterday. So fun. The past two days it has been cool and damp, so I'm kind of worried about sitting them out while I'm away at work tomorrow. It's supposed to be 90!

Kim

o

Well, it's now June 1st and my marigold seedlings were only out for one day, and back inside ever since. It's been really cold and windy and rainy.

We're finally going to get good weather. Is there any chance marigolds need a shorter hardening off period? Do they need at least 7 days, or could I do less?

Thanks =:)

o

no way of telling over the internet.

The plants will tell you when they are ready, they will perk up with the sunlight (instead of droop) and they will stretch/turn to find more.

When you say cold... how cold is cold? Because anything over 45* is fine for them.

Keriann~

o

Keriann When I say cold, I'm talking 1-2 degrees celsius , which is about 35-36 fahrenheit. That's nighttime temps. Unusual for this time of year. If 45 F is warm enough, we've been barely above that most days. Now we're warming up.

So, I can gauge how long to harden off by what the marigolds are doing? I thought they needed at least 7 days.(?) Daytime temps will be 68+ . Won't the sun burn them if I don't do it really gradually?

o

Ah yes. Taking the plants for a walk.

I have a couple of raspberries in the house (they were in quarantine) and I've been taking them out for a walk for about a week, trying to get their delicate over-sized house plant leaves used to the sunshine.

My grape cuttings have finally been moved outside. I've got them on a cart so I can get them out of the sun after a couple of hours, so they don't get a sunburn. But they are dealing with the air temperatures quite well.

Pumpkins desperately need to be hardened off, but they hate being moved and their garden won't be ready for them for a couple more weeks, so I won't take them out for a walk until closer to time to plant them. They act like spoiled little brats, whining and drooping if they get moved.

Tomatoes need to go out, but I have to re-pot them first. It's June, for Pete's sake. When is it going to stop freezing at night?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here