Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

My Seedlings Came Outside With Me Today

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

My first ever grown indoors marigold seedlings came outside with me for a while today =:)

I wonder if they were as tickled pink as I was.

I just bet they can hardly wait to go out again tomorrow.

Thanks to all those on this forum who helped me to do it =:)

Comments (5)

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

Yay! Good for you! I had to buy mine this year, to put around my veggies.

I just started hardening off my pepper and tomato plants yesterday. So fun. The past two days it has been cool and damp, so I'm kind of worried about sitting them out while I'm away at work tomorrow. It's supposed to be 90!

Kim

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it's now June 1st and my marigold seedlings were only out for one day, and back inside ever since. It's been really cold and windy and rainy.

We're finally going to get good weather. Is there any chance marigolds need a shorter hardening off period? Do they need at least 7 days, or could I do less?

Thanks =:)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

no way of telling over the internet.

The plants will tell you when they are ready, they will perk up with the sunlight (instead of droop) and they will stretch/turn to find more.

When you say cold... how cold is cold? Because anything over 45* is fine for them.

Keriann~

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Keriann When I say cold, I'm talking 1-2 degrees celsius , which is about 35-36 fahrenheit. That's nighttime temps. Unusual for this time of year. If 45 F is warm enough, we've been barely above that most days. Now we're warming up.

So, I can gauge how long to harden off by what the marigolds are doing? I thought they needed at least 7 days.(?) Daytime temps will be 68+ . Won't the sun burn them if I don't do it really gradually?

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Ah yes. Taking the plants for a walk.

I have a couple of raspberries in the house (they were in quarantine) and I've been taking them out for a walk for about a week, trying to get their delicate over-sized house plant leaves used to the sunshine.

My grape cuttings have finally been moved outside. I've got them on a cart so I can get them out of the sun after a couple of hours, so they don't get a sunburn. But they are dealing with the air temperatures quite well.

Pumpkins desperately need to be hardened off, but they hate being moved and their garden won't be ready for them for a couple more weeks, so I won't take them out for a walk until closer to time to plant them. They act like spoiled little brats, whining and drooping if they get moved.

Tomatoes need to go out, but I have to re-pot them first. It's June, for Pete's sake. When is it going to stop freezing at night?