Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halfway_gw

Using Coco Coir for seedlings

halfway
12 years ago

I have to say I am impressed and will continue it's use next year.

I started over 7 trays and all were coco coir from a compressed brick. I hydrated it when needed, so I kept my workspace tidy. It was easy to figure out how much was needed after only a few times.

Couple other notes:

It bottom feeds very well and is VERY easy to know when it is fully watered.

It has zero nutrients, so appropriate nutrient levels for seedlings and then larger starts is a must. I kept many of the tomatoes on 1/2 nutrients for almost 2 weeks too long and I know I lost some growth opportunity. Once on full nutrients, they really took off with dense growth and internodal density.

It dries from the top down.

It will make for good soil amendment since it is medium to fine in texture and will aid moisture retention until it breaks down over time.

It allows me to maintain a "soil free" environment for my spring starts work area (basement).

The compressed brick was very cheap and the nutrients were as well. It was much cheaper and I believe as good as or better than the normal MG potting mix I previously used.

Can't wait until next year to increase the nutrients earlier and really see how big the starts can get before planting outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Adventure

Comments (3)