Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Coco Coir for seedlings

Posted by halfway 5a (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 15:33

I have to say I am impressed and will continue it's use next year.

I started over 7 trays and all were coco coir from a compressed brick. I hydrated it when needed, so I kept my workspace tidy. It was easy to figure out how much was needed after only a few times.

Couple other notes:

It bottom feeds very well and is VERY easy to know when it is fully watered.

It has zero nutrients, so appropriate nutrient levels for seedlings and then larger starts is a must. I kept many of the tomatoes on 1/2 nutrients for almost 2 weeks too long and I know I lost some growth opportunity. Once on full nutrients, they really took off with dense growth and internodal density.

It dries from the top down.

It will make for good soil amendment since it is medium to fine in texture and will aid moisture retention until it breaks down over time.

It allows me to maintain a "soil free" environment for my spring starts work area (basement).

The compressed brick was very cheap and the nutrients were as well. It was much cheaper and I believe as good as or better than the normal MG potting mix I previously used.

Can't wait until next year to increase the nutrients earlier and really see how big the starts can get before planting outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Adventure

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Coco Coir for seedlings

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, May 29, 11 at 18:27

I'm glad you are pleased with your results -

There is a comparison here however you might find interesting reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: USU Coir comparison study

o

Thank you morz. intersting indeed.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 14:44

It seems the quality/results can vary with brand and country of origin, point that could be worth knowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here