Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Transplant or Thin?

Posted by shootblue MO (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 15:38

This is probably a live and learn kind of scenario, but, here goes....

I have dozens of 3 and 4 inch square pots, each with anywhere from one to quite a few seedlings of a certain plant in each pot, most are between a half to two inches tall.

My original idea was to be able to separate the seedlings out from each pot, and then repot them...however now that I have looked at the root structure of them, they have almost all gone to the bottom of the pot and intertwined, therefore making separating them nearly impossible I believe. Some are things that I would really like to get multiples of, like the lavenders.

Is it even really feasible to try and break them apart and repot or should I just live and learn...and thin to a plant or two per pot, later repotting to a bigger pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Transplant or Thin?

I would divide the plants you want multiples of. Get the soil really really really wet and try to pull them apart by the root ball, if that is a no-go, you can just cut them apart. They will be in shock and not very happy, but in a few weeks no one would know the difference.

I have done it a few times in a pinch and my plants look fine after a bit of a rest period.

Keriann~

o
RE: To Transplant or Thin?

Depends a lot on what the plant is. Some plants survive having their roots upset; some are less forgiving.

One question - if you divide them, do you have a place to plant all the plants? If you have *dozens* of pots, you could end up with hundreds of plants. Might be more realistic (depending on the size of your garden and your willingness to do the work) to thin them to the most likely survivors and plant those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here