Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening off?

Posted by dragonjaze 5a (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 15:46

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, please direct me to the correct forum!

First time gardener here, so it's ok to explain the very basics.

I started an army of tomato plants from seed, and they have taken over my sunroom. My schedule has me transplanting them out to the garden in the last week of May and first week of June. When and how do I start "hardening" them?

The sun room gets pretty warm during the day, and has been staying about 10 degrees warmer than our nighttime temps.

Any advice, tips, instructions are welcome. I don't want to kill them all when I finally put them outside, after all the great success I've had growing them so far!

I also have pepper plants to transplant, but those aren't going out as soon as the tomatoes. Is the process the same for all plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening off?

I use the same method for toms and peppers. I put them in the shade for a few hours, then bring them in(they need to get used to the wind as well as the sun). I do this for about three days, then I place them so they get maybe an hour of dappled sun, then put them in the shade for the rest of the day, then bring them in. I repeat each day giving them more sun each time(if it's cloudy or rainy, I leave them out longer). After about a week, I put them in sun, then in shade and leave them out overnight. After a few days of this I leave them out in sun and plant them in their permanent homes, be it large pots or the ground. So I take about ten days or so to harden off. I may be over-doing it, but I've lost plants planting them out before they're ready. HTH

o
RE: Hardening off?

I am lazy. I have a screened in porch (including the roof). I put them out there and only bring them in if it is going to drop below 40. All day right from the start. Its fairly shady but gets dappled sun. The wind is muffled by the screening. After 3-6 days I plant them, if it is a sunny day I will use shade cloth for the first day

I havent had a problem yet, maybe I have just been lucky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here