Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange grow pattern on shiso

Posted by Sugi_C 10a (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:51

Hi all,

I've grown shiso from seed many times and feel (felt?) like I knew their growth pattern, and how to prune them to make for bushy plants. I pretty much grow it like basil. But I have one seedling that started normal with all the others and then went berserk, like this:

Untitled

No complaints as its just a mass of new leaves and all seem to be growing but I was so curious as to what it's doing. I would have thought it's bolting, but 1. it's not hot enough yet and 2. after having watched it grow out, there are only new and normal leaves -- no sign of flowering.
Here's a closeup of the backside of this celery like growth.

Untitled

Any ideas? Maybe this is just a different cultivar of shiso than I had in the past and this will end up being a silly question, but none of the other plants, all started from seed on the same day, are doing this.

Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange grow pattern on shiso

It looks like an example of fasciation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fasciation

o

Flora, thank you!!! How bizarre and fascinating!
Hmm...once you read "mutation" it suddenly doesn't sound so appetizing, haha. I wonder if these leaves are okay to be harvested assuming they continue growing?

The only odd thing that all the shiso in this pot experienced was what looked to be a lack of calcium absorption early on. It affected them up until the start of the second set of leaves when I moved them out of that pot and into this one where they have now been for 5 weeks or so. All the growth since then softened up and became normal. I pruned the tops of all others in this pot (which then resulted in leaking stems for a week!?!) except this one, where I wasn't sure what it was doing or where/how to chop.

This same plant is growing one ridiculously large shoot/stem, enough to make me think a seed had inadvertently been planted there, except it is connected to this plant, I found, once I dug in a little.

Fascinating stuff! Thank you for identifying this!

Grace

o

• Posted by Sugi_C 10a - SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:12

This plant continues to mesmerize me. I harvested no less than 30 leaves off of it over the weekend, and underneath all of that are so many more small ones busting out. The photos below were taken today, after the leaves were harvested.

This fasciation business is so cool. Here's a shot of a plant from the same seed planting. Only one turned into this beast of a plant; the rest are as expected and normal-sized....and slowly growing.

IMG_4812

IMG_4823

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here