Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Trays Have to have drain holes

Posted by cookie_ks az (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 16:15

I have some plastic trays that I have already started some seeds in and they do not have any holes in them. Should I go ahead and drill some holes in the containers even though I have already planted some seeds to start the plants outdoors? What should I cover them with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Trays Have to have drain holes

Hi cookie,

Yes, you should put drain holes in the bottom of the trays; the soil needs good drainage to allow oxygen to reach the roots. The soil needs to be damp but not wet.

Don't know what kind of plastic trays you have, but some plastics will crack or break if you try to drill holes through it. I usually burn the holes through using an old soldering iron, but of course anything hot enough would work as wall.

As for what to cover the trays with, keep in mind that the only purpose of covering the trays is to prevent the soil from drying out too quickly. If you're home all the time and can make sure the soil stays slightly damp, you really don't need to cover the trays at all. In fact, in my opinion, it's better if you can get by without covers. If you work all day and can't watch the plants close enough, then you might be better off covering the trays with something that would let the light in (glass, clear plastic, or even Saran or Handi Wrap).

Hope this helps,

Art

o
RE: Do Trays Have to have drain holes

Yes, trays without holes are intended for holding other containers like cell packs, containers that already have holes in them. Solid trays should not be used for direct planting in.

Since it is already planted, rather than drilling you can use a hot nail, solder iron, woodburner iron, etc. to melt small holes in the bottom of the tray.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here