Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Definition or Picture of 'Leggy' ??

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:15

Hello fellow gardeners. Could someone post a picture here of leggy versus perfectly healthy seedlings, in different sizes such as when they're say, 2" tall and say, 4" tall?

I'm somewhat confused by everyone's definition of leggy seedlings. In comparison to what?

For example, if you line up a bunch of kids, you'll find many of them have what'd I'd call spindly little legs. But, in comparison to what? The bigger kid who is destined to be 6' and 200 pounds, or the one who's destined to be 5'8" and 150 pounds? Most of them will have spindly little legs. Afterall, they're just kids.

So, since seedlings are just little babies, what is a leggy seedling compared to a good one?

Maybe mine are all leggy and I just don't know it =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Definition or Picture of 'Leggy' ??

It depends on the plant, they vary greatly.

I would search this forum first for pictures. There are lots on here.

Leggy seedlings is not just 'tall' they are, it is the distance between the leaf sets. So for example, my african daiseys' leaf sets are about 1/8 of an inch apart from eachother, I would consider them leggy if they were 1/2 inch apart. But then tomatoes are not leggy if their leaf sets are 1/2 inch apart... so it is different plant by plant.

So it is not the height, but the distance between leaf nodes.

I hope that helps.

Keriann~

o
RE: Definition or Picture of 'Leggy' ??

Well what do you know! I always thought "leggy" meant a skinny little stem.

I guess my example seemed pretty funny. So, I could call a person with a short torso leggy, ha ha!!

Thanks for the reply. =:)

BTW My seedlings are not leggy =;)

o
RE: Definition or Picture of 'Leggy' ?? Correction

Good Grief! People are going to wonder about the "nuts" in my name............

I meant to say that I could then call a person with a long torso, leggy. Ha! Ha! Now is it funny?

My bad.

o
Yes

Yes, skinney stems are often associated with leggy seedlings because they are stretched out.

You are correct : )

I liked your example :)

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here