Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OP vegetable crop seed providers

Posted by factoryfarmer none (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 17:05

shoot, I posted this in heirlooms but I think I should have put it here =/

anyway: I have a somewhat odd question to ask. I am planning a project where we would need to use at least one seed provider - open pollinated only. I need someone from whom we can purchase high quality seeds in bulk - maybe 4oz of tiny seeds, many lbs of things like beans - but because the volume isn't very high, price isn't really much of a factor. I'm more interested in a wide variety of cultivars, as well as some intangible measure of 'good' that they do. For instance, I *love* mountain valley seeds for selection and value, but I don't know anything about their corporate ethic. We'll probably use them for some cultivars, actually - but I'd love to have a few seed conservation groups, too. I figure if we're spending money, we might as well spend it in places where the 'good' multiplies. Oh, in case there are any specialized groups, I'm mostly looking for high yielding, fast growing vegetable crops. Herbs are good too.

Who would you recommend? Are there any particularly awesome options if smaller quantity was doable? Thanks guys =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OP vegetable crop seed providers

Are you looking for some place like Seed Savers Exchange? They offer some vegetable seeds through a public catalogue, but they also have hundreds or thousands of members who grow heirloom varieties of all kinds of vegetables and grains and fruits, and exchange them with other members. Hope this helps.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here