Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late?

Posted by bbfan10 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 17:29

Hello
I just went out and bought a couple packets of seeds to try out in the garden. It's been raining like crazy for the past two weeks, so I haven't felt very obliged to sow. Is it too late to direct sow any of these seeds?
Here are the names of the seeds:
Columbine (aquilegia hybrida) (I believe I'm too late to try this one)
Gloriosa daisy (rudbeckia hirta)
Malva (malva sylvestris zebrina)
Nigella (nigella damascena)
Balloon flower (platycodon grandiflorus)
Oriental poppy (papaver orientale)
Foxglove (digitalis pupurea)
Hollyhock (alcea rosea ficofolia)

Many thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late?

On my winter sowing seed list, I show columbine as needing cold stratification but malva, rudbeckia, platycodon and hollyhock don't require a cold period to germinate. You can check the sowing instructions on Diane's Flower Seeds website--she includes cold strat information for seeds that need it. I winter sow most all perennial seeds and they sprout fine whether they need the cold or not.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 11 at 10:31

I don't know what your weather is doing temperature wise - you'll have to pay attention to water (I know you said raining now) sowing this late so be prepared for that
Columbine (aquilegia hybrida) - I'm not sure. There are so many columbine, I don't know what to make of 'hybrida'. Most germinate (with just a couple of exceptions) at lower temperatures or need an extended moist chill and many can be slow to germinate (slow meaning 'months')
Gloriosa daisy (rudbeckia hirta)Sow at 68F, if no germination in 3-4 weeks, move to 39F for 2-4 weeks, *see hollyhock

Malva (malva sylvestris zebrina) Sow at 68F in light (surface, do not cover), germinates in less than two weeks
Nigella (nigella damascena) Should germinate in a week or two at 70ish F

Balloon flower (platycodon grandiflorus) Sow at 68F, germination slow

Oriental poppy (papaver orientale)Sow at 68F, germinates in less than two weeks - do not cover seed

Foxglove (digitalis pupurea) Surface sow at 68F, germinates in less than two weeks

Hollyhock (alcea rosea ficofolia) Sow at 68F, if no germination in 3-4 weeks, move to 39F for 2-4 weeks then back to warm (sometimes with these it's best to save time and just assume they will benefit from a moist chill to begin with)

o

Thanks a bunch guys :) Now all I need is for the weather to cooperate. It looks like thunderstorms for the next week with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 60s...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here