Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light necessary for germination

Posted by jdelorenzo NYC (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 17:41

from experience with sprouting I know that light isnt necessary to sprout seeds. but that more holds true for stuff you typical sprout to eat the sprouts.

but does anyone know if light is necessary (assuming you have the proper temperature) to germinate any of the following seeds:
- peppers
- tomatillos
- eggplants

I realize once they're up the seedlings will need plenty of light.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light necessary for germination

There are some plants that requirelight for germination & therefore we do not cover the seed with soil...... others require TOTAL darkness to germinate the plants you mentioned should be LIGHTLY covered & moisture & temperature needed for germination .....

o

I agree, those 3 need to be covered. Things like basil and other tiny herb seeds most often need to be surface-sown and kept misted til they sprout.

o

A pretty good guideline is the recommended planting depth. Seeds that are planted on or near the surface usually need light to germinate.

o

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I definately know to cover those seeds & at the right depth.

Based on the answers above, can I assume that the seeds i mentioned can then be sprouted without any light exposure (i.e. my growing medium can be in total darkness) as long as proper moisture & temperature is maintained?

also - i have read about not putting my growing medium in direct sun as it will "cook the seeds". but if the air temperature is 55-65 degrees F then does this still hold true? my seeds are in a combination of tiny seed starter pots (with makeshift plastic domes) and some in cardboard egg cartons. From what i've read, optimal temperature for sprouting these particular plants is 75-80 degrees.

Thanks!

o

Yes, it holds true. Plastic dome = greenhouse effect. Way too hot under there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here