Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alyssum legging

Posted by indica_2010 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 17:44

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here. I sowed seeds of alyssum (carpet of snow)in a 14" hanging basket - seedlings came out - however, it has been nearly 2 weeks and they still have only 2 leaves - and no signs of true leaves...
I live in an apartment and have kept the basket near the balcony window(but inside the house). I also have nasturtium in another basket - that seems to be doing gr8.
My question - Is there anything I can do or am I simply over reacting? any suggestions wud be really helpful.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alyssum legging

From when I've planted them in the past, they need a lot of sunlight, and they like it cool, especially at night. They are considered early bloomers in our zone (5), so if you're in Zone 7, you should leave them outside instead. Also, even if you've only got 2 leaves, they are probably busy growing roots. You've got a big basket to fill!

o

Put them outside. Alyssum is a cool weather plant. It will reseed outside here in zone 3. They do take a while though to grow into a decent sized plant. It will probably benifit from the cooler night temperatures outside. Don't worry about frost if you are still getting some. Allyssum does not freeze easily; it takes a very hard frost to kill them

o

Thanks a lot...started with bean and oilpainter,

I have kept the basket outside. Do u think - starting with few hrs/day and then proceed with whole day and night wud be ok?

Another question..I had put some 10-12 seeds and got good results - so, now there are 10 seedlings in that 14" basket with 2" space - wud that be too crowded when they all grow up big?

Thanks again

o

Yes that would be ok, but a better solution would be to set them outside in late afternoon and bring them in mid morning if that's possible. That is if you are not getting frost. Although Allyssum withstands frost these have been grown indoors. Next year put your basket outside in early spring and let them come up and grow out there.

That number of plants in that size container is plenty of room for Allyssum. They have a very small root system

o

Thanks a lot oilpainter...hope my alyssum come up nice. this is the first year I am starting from seeds.

will follow what ur advice for next year too..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here