Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydaisy_68

How long does coneflower take to sprout?

CrazyDaisy_68
18 years ago

I've sown seeds 2x now for purple coneflower and they still have not sprouted. It's been at least a month now since the last one and at least 2 months for the first tray.

Are they just "bad seed" or are they just late sprouters???

Comments (11)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

If they are going to germinate without chilling, they should sprout in approx 10 - 21 days. While it isn't necessary for fresh seed, sometimes the chill will help to break dormancy in seed that has been stored.

Echinacea pallida, and purpurea , Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 2-4 wks

Echinacea angustifolia, paradoxa, and tennesseensis , Sow at 18-22ºC (64-71ºF) for 2-4 wks, move to 4ºC (40ºF) for 9 wks, move to 10ºC (50ºF) for germination

• flowerpower326
    18 years ago

Don't feel bad-sowed mine over 30 day ago-nothing:(

• ianna
    18 years ago

I had magnus echinacea sprout after approx. 3 weeks - it did seem to take long.

• subywu
    18 years ago

2 weeks for me (seeds from Ebay). Seemed to have quite high germination rate too. I lost some to damping off though. They have already been hardened off and were planted last weekend. I started early so they would definitely flower later this year.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I'll try and stay patient here! LOL

• ChiGardener
    18 years ago

I also planted some Purple Cone seeds a little over a week, maybe even 2 weeks ago and nothing. I mixed them with some purple Lupines and neither has yielding a sprout. That and the Lavender "Munstead" I planted. However, I had to put border wire fencing around the lavender beds because my dog, with his huge feet, kept walking through them and then I accidently stepped on one. Not sure just how many of my seeds are still there. I bought more lavender and purple cone seeds. . .even found a white cone packet! Bought a few more also because I'm really wanting something to grow. Have mostly perennial seeds so I'm not expecting much bloom this year, but I'd like the green at least.

• ChiGardener
    18 years ago

Good news, I think some of my Purple Cones are breaking through the ground!!! I have a good number of seedlings that are starting to sprout their true leaves!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patience is a virtue (or so they say anyways!) I've got ONE Purple Coneflower sprout in my container... which is better then none! LOL

• aspringer
    18 years ago

You could try winter-sowing them. I tried it this year and got loads of nice seedlings.

• pardath
    18 years ago

I just sowed some Purple Coneflower "Primadonna" after harvesting what the birds didn't eat off two mature plants. It had already snowed and been cold for weeks outside so perhaps that helped break dormancy.

I planted in seed starter indoors at 70 degree Farenheit and misted daily. Many seedlings have sprouted after 5-7 days.

• Frances Jones
    3 years ago

I soaked my seeds for a couple of days and they are spouted like gang busters!!!