Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Seeding...Freezing Temps

Posted by mamashakesit Oregon 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 18:28

A couple a weeks ago, I wrote a post about direct seeding. I normally make it my Memorial Day weekend project to plant my garden, but experienced gardeners have been telling me that in this area, I can plant a month earlier, since the average last day of frost is in mid-April.

So I did and UGH!!!! Record low (and freezing) temps overnight for the last week! I covered up my dahlias and cosmos I'd purchased at the garden shop, but what about the stuff I've direct seeded?

I planted Monarda Lombarda, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias, swan river daisies and tithonia, plus kohlorabi and peas. Will I need to reseed all these or will they be OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Seeding...Freezing Temps

As long as they are under the ground they should be Ok. It would have to freeze the ground down to the seeds and I don't think in your area that would happen. They will sprout when the weather warms. Just water them when the weather warms.

The kolirabi and peas will like the cooler weather better than hot.

Don't panic it will be fine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here