Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting seed from Impatiens ( Busy Lizzie)

Posted by ianbrazil 11 (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:26

What is the best way to collect seed from these? A few of my New Guinea hybrids produce seeds but like ordinary Impatiens as soon as it is ripe,wham! It is gone. I can think of some other plants it is difficult to get seeds off too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting seed from Impatiens ( Busy Lizzie)

Well they're known as Impatiens for a good reason -- known as "explosive dehiscense".

I've enclosed a link to an ehow site that's supposed to tell you how to collect the seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get seeds from Impatiens flowers

o
RE: Collecting seed from Impatiens ( Busy Lizzie)

Unless the seed is very very fine, I find this method works OK. I use fly-screen material (if you know what I mean - it is not wire but is some sort of pliable mesh these days). I cut a small piece, maybe a square or a circle and carefully enclose an un-ripe seed pod so that when it opens, the seeds will be caught inside. You need to do this carefully and use a light material so as not to weigh the seed down or break the flower-stem.
You can double up the material if needed to make it a bit denser for smaller seeds.
I find the easiest way of securing it firmly round so there are no gaps is with a small paper-stapler. If the combined weight is still a bit much, you may be able to support the pod's stem with a small stake as well.
On trees or vines, I also mark the pod's location by sticking on a tag of fluro coloured duct tape, but really anything like that will work just as a reminder where it is - a bit of plastic bag, ribbon, wool.
The advantage is, that the "wire" mesh is see-through so you can follow the progress of the pod and hopefully catch the seed if it ripens early. It is light and airy so the plant receives normal conditions and you do not risk the pod becoming wet or mouldy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here