Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

Posted by patrick212 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 19:40

Does anyone have experience in hardening off Hyacinth Bean Vine and/or Japanese Morning Glory (Picotee)? Both of these vines seem very sensative to the cold (mid 50s). I have a good deal of experience in hardening off the plants I grow from seeds and these two varieties show some pretty serious wilting with cooler temperatures and wind. They bounce back within an hour of bringing them back inside.

I know that Hyacinth Bean typically likes the heat but none of the other Morning Glories that I've grown have been this sensitive. Of the 16 flats I'm hardening off these are the only two plants that are having problems. The plants are approximately 6 weeks old and very healthy.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Take care, Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

YOU HAVE A 2 PART QUESTION YES THE HARDENING OFF PROCESS IS ONE IN WHICH YOU HELP THE PLANT MAKE THE TRANSFER FROM "THE HOUSE" TO "THE YARD" but YOU MUST ALSO CONSIDER THE CONDITIONS IN "THE YARD" MUST ALSO BE IDEAL FOR THE SPECIFIC PLANT ... FOR EXAMPLE DO NOT TRY TO TAKE A TROPICAL PLANT OUTSIDE AT THE NORTH POLE

o

I only direct seed these two because I heard they do not like to be transplanted.

Hmmm.. odd problem....

I know my corkscrew vines get really really droopy in the sun and then pop back up in the shade. They have been hardening off for 2 weeks now.

Maybe they just need a longer time in the shade?

Let me know how they do.

Keriann~

o

A week ago I transplaned 5 Hyacinth Bean plants I started from seed and none of them are going to make it. I'll just plant new seeds in another week or so. The cold nights we've been having were too much for these plants.

o

Everyone, thanks for the comments.

We had some warmer weather of the last couple of days in Chicago and both the vines did well overnight. I planted everything in containers on Sunday and the vines are doing well.

I think that the Hyacinth in particular was just more sensitive to cold/windy weather. I'll remember that for next year.

Take care, Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here