Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paulownia Tomentosa and Kochia Tricophylla

Posted by ri.gardengirl 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 20:49

Does anyone have any experience with these plants; Paulownia Tomentosa and Kochia Tricophylla? One is known as the Empress or Princess Tree. The other is called Burning Bush. I ordered seeds on-line from the colorful pictures and the fact that they grow in zone 6. Now they are in. As I educate myself on-line I'm finding more information. It seems the Empress Tree is "invasive" and gets out of control with many offspring. It was hard to find much info on Kochia Tricophylla, When I searched under "burning bush" it was listed under a different scientific name. Are there two different burning bushes? I'm confused. It is also known as a weed which makes me think I need to stay away from it. I'm wondering if I should throw these seeds in the trash. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paulownia Tomentosa and Kochia Tricophylla

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, May 9, 09 at 22:07

Yes, more than one plant is known by the common name burning bush. Do your research using the botanical names - it's the only safe way to know. "Bassia scoparia syn Kochia trichophylla". May be invasive depending on your climate, growing it prohibited in Washington, Oregon, Connecticutt. My own take on this one, it's not that attractive to warrant planting it - hope that isn't too direct for you since I don't know you :)

Paulownia tomentosa is often mentioned as " can be weedy or invasive", is banned in Connecticut and mentioned again in Southeast Exotic Pest Plants as invasive in Tennessee. It may not be a problem in your own climate but I suspect you have many wonderful alternatives for ornamentals available to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kochia aka Bassia

o

morz8 Thank you! that was very helpful

o

My neighbor has a Paulonia at least 50 years old that blooms beautiful every spring. He has no reseeding or sucker problems. Check with your local extension service to see if it is a problem where you live. Al

o

It depends where you live. If you live in this shades area, I would NOT recommend paulownia, because it could become very invasive. In other places it may still become invasive, but it should not be an issue.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for39/fff00166.gif

However, if you live outside, I would give it a shot despite what some others say. It is not the tree from hell, it just needs some TLC the first few years, don't just plant it and leave it be...otherwise it will become an invasive trash tree. If you have time, keep it, if not, move it to the garden and coppice it each year for its large tropical leaves.

And even though people say its hollow, compare a hole the size of your thumb with a mature tree. Not very noticeable now is it? On younger stems, about 50% is the softwood, but in the "hollow" part, it has some light plant material and is fairly strong and limber, again, just needs some TLC to keeps from getting too frail.

If you decided to get rid of it, might I suggest the northern magnolia? It is a little compact, but has nice medium large pink blooms that do not attract bees, and have a light sweet fragrance which is could for those who have allergies. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here