Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bring Home The Butterfly Seeds

Posted by turaloora z10Cal. (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 20:51

I bought this seed packet and i was going to plant it today or tomorrow. Is it too late to plant them? Im in San Francisco. It says 1 to 2 weeks before the average last spring frost. 7-21 days to germination
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bring Home The Butterfly Seeds

In S.F. There is plenty of time for the plants to mature & provide flowers SO go ahead & plant the seed

o
RE: Bring Home The Butterfly Seeds

I've grown seeds from that very same packet "Bring Home the Butterflies" (from Botanical Interests), and I live in San Francisco too. It's a great mix packet! Comes with so many different types, and lots of them too. I still have a bunch. Since those seeds come from all different climate zones, you don't need to worry about planting them too early or too late. In San Francisco, you can plant them pretty much any time of the year.

I would recommend though, if you want to only plant a few types from that mix, that you look up information on those plants so you can give them the most suitable environment, because they are all different. (For instance, some plants might need darkness to germinate, some might need light, etc, some might need part shade, etc.) I know the packet is designed for the gardener to just toss a bunch of seeds on the ground and let nature do the rest, but I've planted mine separately just because I wanted to have individual plants, not a big crowded pot.

Two years ago I first planted my butterfly seeds in the middle of summer and I had flowers all the way up until Christmas time. There will always be late-season bugs happy to find a home in your plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here