Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
direct sowing tomatoes eggplants and peppers?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:57

I'd like to direct sow tomatoes, peppers and eggplant where I'm at with the next week or so.

Yes I'm well aware of my gardening zone and how cold it is now.

However they'd be grown in containers and most likely have soil cables to heat the soil. Should they be kept in the soil to keep the temps warmer or pulled out as soon as the seeds germinate?

My containers are made of plastic and so this would provide insulation.

My other option is putting some sort of plastic wrap with holes on it (found it somewhere from a gardening company) to keep the soil temps up.

Since there would be holes in it would the ventilation and air flow be sufficient?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: direct sowing tomatoes eggplants and peppers?

Buy the started plants and save yourself all that trouble. It's way too late in this zone to be direct seeding those plants. You won't get any fruit from them till late summer and fall!

o

Many of the varieties I have are early maturing (50-65 days for the slicers and cherry tomatoes, 60-75 for romas).

Add to that, the reason I want to use the perforated row covers is cause it will increase the warmth, resulting in faster germination.

Also they will be grown in containers which means the temps of hte soil in the containers will be warmer in comparsion to the soil temp of soil in the ground.

So would this result in an earlier maturing date, and an earlier harvest date as a result (in comparison to growing them in the ground)

o

It sounds to me like this is an experiment that you really want to try. - So go ahead. We all have the need to see what rules we can get away with breaking.

Maturation dates on seed packages are very misleading and rarely correct. Often they are based on when you transplant out a 4-6 week old seedling, not when you sow the seed. You wlll probably do fine with tomatoes, possibly with eggplants, they will just be later than average. Id be surprised if you can get peppers to fruit before frost, unless they are hot peppers or a smaller sweet pepper of some sort. If it is really important to you that you be harvesting a lot of vegetables, then buying a few starter plants as well makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here