Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help w/fertilizing seedlings!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 21:36

Yes I've read about fertilizing seedlings, when to do so etc. I know it's old enough that it could be fertilized and it wouldn't hurt it.

It has it's cotelydons and two true leaves; the bud of the 3rd true leaf is just starting to come in (very little, not even really a leaf yet)

The fertilizer I have is also specifically designed for seedlings. You mix about 1/4 t (small seedlings....cabbage, broccoli etc.) w/1 gallon water; for large seedlings (pumpkins, cukes, melons etc.) you use 1/2 t w/1 gallon water.

The seedling is healthy, but it's not a vibrant, dark green; it's a yellow-green. Should I fertilize it? Also when I fertilize, do I then water it with pure water after fertilizing?

Or, since it's a diluted fertilizer specifically designed for seedlings, would I just use the fertilizer liquid in place of water? The pumpkin seedlings are in a 3" peat pot with a hole in the bottom for irrigation, that's why I'm asking about whether I should 'flush out' the fertilizer, or just use the fertilizer liquid in place of water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help w/fertilizing seedlings!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 1:59

Mix your fertilizer into the water, then use that to water your seedlings just as you would use plain water. You don't want to flush what you've provided out and make it unavailable to the roots, you want them to 'drink' it....and I'm sure there is a better way of wording that but it's been a very long day now :)

I use an all purpose fertilizer formulated to be mixed with water when I water seed pots, but i dilute it to approx 1/4 the package directions, increasing that for more mature plants to about 1/2 strength but rarely full strength for anything. If your product states it is specifically for seed trays and flats, it may be fine used according to the package measurements - however, be aware most fertilizer products come with directions for using more than is necessary.

o
RE: help w/fertilizing seedlings!

Great posts and follow up information. I am constantly taking notes. Thanks to everyone for their input in the forums I visit.

Container vegetable gardening 365 days a year in Zone 9B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here