Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Seedlings Turning Yellow, Not Growing

Posted by pondwire WA (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 07 at 21:46

Hello Everyone:

I've seen other posting similar to this topic that say I should kill my plants or that they will just die by themselves. I find both options unacceptable. Here's my scenario and I hope someone can help: I bought a packet of Ed Hume Oregon Spring tomato seeds and planted them in Jiffy pots on 3/30/07. Within one week, seedlings began to appear. I was happy. I had placed them in a southern facing window that does not get full sun. Maybe five hours worth. Anyway, one month passed and it seemed the growth on all plants was about 1mm. So, I decided to plant about 10 of them in my garden (which consists of a plastic planter on my full-sun porch) even though they only had a tiny second tier of leaves. That was about one week ago. Now, they look yellowish, haven't grown, and one looks like it's about to drop a leaf. What gives? For two years I've had mammoth crops, even growing them right next to a sidewalk. This year, weather's been good. Pretty sunny every day for the last two weeks. I water every day and gave them just a little tomato plant food to start. Can anyone tell me why ALL my seedlings are stunted, yellowing, and look dry even with very consistent watering? I refuse to give up on them. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Seedlings Turning Yellow, Not Growing

Hi there, I am certainly no pro at this but it sounds like they are too wet. Could it be that the the very top of the soil dries out by their feet are staying too wet? Just a thought... Hope you get some better answers!

o

I agree, possibly too much watering.

o

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 15:17

Have you fed them anything? Jiffy mix has zero nutrients. Give a boost with seedling fertilizer. Not seeing top-growth doesn't mean there's no growth. Right now your seedlings are developing root systems and those are far more important to a seedlings outcome than too much topgrowth wth nothing to support it below the soil.

Outdoors you're still experiencing cool nights and the sunlight hours aren't long. You shouldn't be seeing a lot of topgrowth, that would be unatural. Patience is a virtue, don't rush the development of your seedlings.

o

Thank you all for your help. I have noticed about a four millimeter growth on one plant, so I have hope. All I need is one!

o

My eggplant seedings are turning yellow. Please see the attached photo.
Is something I did wrong? I turn the light on about 18 hrs a day.
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 1:09

Did you harden off your seedlings before you moved them outside?

Not sure about your exact location but in general I'd think early March to be too early for maters to be outside. Granted Denver is a much different place then Washington, but were getting snow and night temps in the 20's still. If your night temps are consistently still several degrees below 50, those little dears are probably freezing to death.

o

These are still in door and under grow light. I just temporarily removed for photo shot that was all. I am just wondering, do I need a heat mat for this?
Perhaps, the ambient temperature is still too cold for it ??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here