Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies?

Posted by ironmangrow MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 22:22

Any tips for growing poppies.I started them in peat pellets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies?

ohhhhh... yikes.

They hate to be transplanted and peat retains too much moisture to keep them happy for very long.

I would harden them off and get them in the ground asap.

They are well worth it because they are beautiful!

Keriann~

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 12, 10 at 2:37

'Poppies' covers a lot of territory for us to be able to answer you :) Did you sow annual or perennial type?

o

I have grown annual poppies that reseed every year for me. I start them in styrofoam cups and although poppies hate to be transplanted, I planted the seedlings early enough that they grew fine for me. They would have probably done better direct sown, but at least you know that there may be some hope for your peat pot poppies! ;) California poppies are really good re-seeders for me.

o

I think the California poppies are the pretty pink ones? I have those and they do reseed for me like crazy too. They are so pretty like paper machete. I also have grown the Oriental Poppies from seed. I direct sowed those too. The first yr. they were just leaves and the second they bloomed. They should be blooming for me in a few weeks... Very robust plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here