Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Put pots in frig--older seed

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 22:34

Last week, I decided to sow all my older seed packets of perennials from 2007 to 2009. THese are seeds like yellow foxglove, NE and NY Asters, Erigeron, etc. Would I have better germination of these older seeds if I stuck them in my frig for x amount of time or should I just leave them as is, under lights. I'm not seeing a bit of activity from the foxgloves so far (surface sowed).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Put pots in frig--older seed

I have never heard of anyone putting already sowed seeds into cold storage. Cold and wet is likely to just rot them - isnt it?

o

If your seed variety requires stratification for a specified length of time, and you have the refrigerator space, sure you can do it. However if you have old dead seed it will not bring them back to life. Al

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 16:54

Mandolls - check 'stratify'. It's the practice of putting moist seeds into a cold environment to break dormancy, and a requirement for many things although not usually for the seeds mentioned above.

I don't know if it would kick start sujiwans older seeds though - always a chance and it doesn't hurt anything but a little refrigerator space occupied to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here