Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower seeds: How deep to plant germinated seeds

Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 22:42

Help!! I've got a bunch of germinated sunflower seeds and I don't know how deep to plant them. I'm new this season to growing from seed and I'm having a blast & seemingly good results.
I tried the baggie method to germinate some sunflower seeds and to my surprise within 4 days some had already germinated. It's now about day 6 and most of the others are germinated as well.
The first to germinate have already produced long roots(1-2 inch) but all are still holding onto their seed shell.
How deep do I plant them? Had I just direct sown them the packets say 1 inch deep. Does that mean just plant the seed head area 1 inch deep now also?
And what about the long roots?!!
Do I need to create a deep hole and place that root down into it leaving the seed head toward the top and an inch below soil?
If you can help I'd appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower seeds: How deep to plant germinated seeds

I always direct sow them. they don't transplant well. so I would plant them right away. just be gentle with the roots and plant around an inch or so deep.

o

I winter sowed mine in the jug, and when they were
about 3 inches tall , I planted them in the bed.
They are now about 8 inches tall and doing great,

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 08 at 11:45

cindjo2~ When you say "plant an inch or so deep" ... do you mean I cover the seed shell that's still encasing the cortyledons an inch or so deep?(in other words I would plant it and not see anything above ground) At that depth will the cortyledons be able to pop up through the surface? Or do you mean plant the roots down into the soil and leave the seed cased cortyledons at ground level or above?
I'm so inexperienced I apologize for my dumb questions but I really want these to have a chance to survive.
I wish I would have direct sown them as you say but I what started out as an experiment to see how the baggy germination method worked has left me in this situation ... well...um...
because it worked! LOL

caroline~Wow. Have you got a green thumb to spare?!!!! I could use one right about now. Post us some pictures when you get your sunflower heads!! I hope I can get mine to do what yours are doing.

o

I would leave the cotyledons esposed. I would not cover them. yes leave them ground level or slightly above.

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 08 at 15:21

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help cindjo2! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help.
Now maybe I'll see sunflowers in bloom in my garden this year.
Happy gardening!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here