Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth seeds.

Posted by eroctuse2 z5 SE Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 22:45

I know how to grow grape hyacinths from seed (throw on the ground and look out), but I've never tried growing the seeds from my large hyacinths.

I have around 100-150 hyacinth stalks going to seed now and I wondered if anyone might know how to grow them. I pulled two pods apart and found 18 seeds.

Considering each stalk has multiple pods (if the others hold the same numbers) I could have more seeds than I know what to do with.

I realize that most people propagate hyacinths from bulblets, but I would guess that the seeds aren't just there to look nice.

I've never been very good with seeds, but I would really like to try and do something with these. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brock

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth seeds.

First Store at 40F for 16 weeks. THEN lightly cover the seed soil temp 60-70F takes 30-90 days to germinate.

o

Thank-you very much! I really appreciate your help.

I look forward to following your advice, once they're ready.
Brock

o

So if I am understanding this correctly...they go to seed in the mid to late spring. Gather the seeds and put them in the fridge in a bag...16 weeks later (the Fall) I take them out and put the seeds in seed pots and watch them grow? Since it is the fall will they really sprout in the winter? If I store them in a dry bag and put them in the fridge in the winter...will they sprout if I sow them in the spring? Thanks!

o

Please help :)

o

They sound perfect for winter sowing. Mother Nature will stratify the seeds for you.They will germinate when the time is right.

Theresa

o

Thanks so much! I went ahead and threw some of the seed that came from our plants this year right onto the soil. The rest I will save for this winter.

o

I read through this and understand most of it but have a couple of questions.
Do I have to remove the seeds from the pods prior to storing?
Can I freeze instead of 40 degrees? I'm assuming it would simulate winter and not harm the seeds...

Thanks in advance,
David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here