Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

sow coleus seeds now?

v1rt
14 years ago

Starting next week, weather.com says our lows will be in the 45ish for the rest of the week. Looks like things will be starting to warm up. Can I sow coleus now in pots and leave them outside?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

May be a little cool yet in your zone for best results outside -
    "Coleus being tropical in origin responds to warm temperatures. 65-Degree nights, 70-80 degree days for best development. Cooler night temps can be used but germination will slow considerably"

• rokal
    14 years ago

Coleus self-seed readily outdoors so you can go ahead and plant them now. They will germinate and grow on their schedule.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So I can just leave the pots outside on the south side and make sure they are moisted daily?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

found out that I won't have a big coleus plant this year since I've started very late :(

• rokal
    14 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty: So I can just leave the pots outside on the south side and make sure they are moisted daily?

Yes, that is correct. v1rtu0s1ty: found out that I won't have a big coleus plant this year since I've started very late :(

They may be big by the end of the season but they will be small for the majority of your growing season.

For tender annuals like coleus, impatiens, etc., it is best to start them indoors under lights or a sunny window 8-10 weeks before last frost.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rokal! I sowed them in shoe boxes yesterday. The seeds are experiencing 36F right now. Hahaha! I'll post pics if I see sprouts! I remember seeing sprouts after 3 days.

• kaali_maali
    14 years ago

I sowed in April 15th indoors and they did not sprout. Next year I am not going to buy caladiums and coleus.
    I worked hard on caladium, planted indoor some outdoor and everyone of those bulbs turned mushy or soft and did not sprout! Indoor room temperature was kept 70 and also was in southfacing window... but had no luck... there are so many other native plants which would have done so well, I feel.
    the experience of trying to bring tropical feel and look was so dominant that I tried... but sago palm died and another houseplant palm died and also ruined the patch of soil where I dumped its soil. So much for liking tropical... I am going to love the native ones !

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine didn't work. The ones I sowed inside worked. I'm not sure why it doesn't like outside.

• dave_gauthier_intel_com
    12 years ago

Remember not to cover the coleus seeds after sowing. Just press them into the moist, well lit soil. I believe they need exposure to the light to germinate.